ORAU is again privileged to provide funding to support graduate students to attend the annual meeting of Nobel Laureates in Lindau, Germany. We have sponsored students for this historic event for a number of years, and we are currently soliciting graduate student nominations to attend the 70th Lindau Nobel Laureate Interdisciplinary Meeting to be held June 28 – July 3, 2020.
- ORAU member institutions may nominate two students per university.
- Deadline for nominations is September 13, 2019 at 4:00 p.m., Eastern Time
Selected students will have the opportunity to attend formal lectures and informal meetings with Nobel Laureate scientists and peers from around the world. Information on past meetings is available at http://www.orau.org/lindau.
In 2020, the meeting will feature recipients of the Nobel Prize in the fields of physics, chemistry and medicine/physiology. Assuming funding becomes available as anticipated, nominations will be accepted for eligible candidates who:
- Are U.S. citizens and are currently enrolled at a member university as full-time graduate students;
- Have completed by June 2020 at least two academic years of graduate studies toward a doctoral degree that encompasses interdisciplinary coursework and research within the disciplines of physics, chemistry and medicine/physiology; and
- Are planning a dissertation/thesis defense no earlier than January 1, 2021.
We are seeking nominations for a diverse group of students including, women, minorities and people with disabilities. Students must:
- Show a genuine interest and engagement in science and research;
- Display excellence in their principal field of study and, in addition, a commitment to interdisciplinary work as evidenced through dual degrees or interdisciplinary research projects;
- Receive very strong support of their application by their academic advisory or by an internationally renowned scientist;
- Not already have a permanent position in academia or industry; and
- Be a well-rounded individual who can converse with scientists and peers in a meaningful way.
Application Process: The application process will begin on August 1, 2019, and will extend to September 13, 2019, at 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time. All applications and supporting documentation must be received by the deadline to be considered by the ORAU Scientific Committee. The competitive selection process occurs in four stages, beginning with university nominations. ORAU’s Zintellect system will be used for application submittals. A follow up announcement with specific guidance to Councilors will be provided prior to August 1.
If you have any questions or need further information, please contact Jennifer Callais, Jennifer.email@example.com. Questions regarding ORAU institution eligibility should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.