The Office of Research and Innovation is currently in the process of transitioning to a new electronic research administration system called Cayuse. Cayuse is a superior platform that will allow us to integrate information from all of our programs in one location, streamlining workflow and improving the experience of users across campus. Cayuse will replace AGrants (proposal submissions), and has already replaced AIR (conflict of interest disclosures), and IRBIS (human subjects research protocols). Cayuse also has additional modules for management of research protocols involving animals and recombinant DNA. These modules called Animal Oversight and Hazard Safety are already live. Cayuse will also have additional modules for effort reporting and management of award funds.
Logging in to Cayuse
You can access the Human Ethics, Animal Oversight, and Hazard Safety from the "Products" drop down menu on the main landing page. To access the Outside Interests module for conflict of interest disclosures, navigate to your profile and select COI Disclosures from the menu on the left.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please see the links below for genearal FAQs and FAQs related to the different modules.
- General FAQs for Cayuse
- Conflict of Interest FAQs
- Animal Oversight and Hazard Safety FAQs
- Human Ethics FAQs
- Sponsored Programs FAQs: coming soon
Planned roll out dates of modules
- Outside Interests (Conflicts of Interest, replaces AIR): July 1, 2021 (live)
- Human Ethics (Human Subjects Research/ IRB, replaces IRBIS): May 2022 (live)
- Sponsored Projects/Proposals (replaces AGrants): January 2023 (live)
- Animal Oversight (new module for Animal research/IACUC): June 2022 (live)
- Hazard Safety (new module for Recombinant DNA and Biosafety research/IBC): June 2022 (live)
- Fund Manager (new module for award fund management): September 2023
- Effort Reporting (new module): September 2023
Information for Sponsored Projects
Cayuse is now live for internal proposal routing and archival storage of related documents. Although we are still working out some determined bugs, App State is actively routing sponsored projects and other agreements in Cayuse SP. The new system provides access to all Sponsored Programs, Research Protections (compliance) and Conflict of Interests modules from one easy login. Once logged into Cayuse, you can easily move across all of the modules as you manage your research activity. Please go to Cayuse to initiate sponsored project routing forms and to access records for projects active within the last 5 years. If you need additional assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information for Animal Oversight and Hazard Safety
- “Shell data” such as study title, PI, and approval dates were transferred into Cayuse for all open and active studies. More detailed study information cannot be automatically transferred and will need to be manually transferred by the PI.
- Your study data from IACUC and IBC is available via attachments in Cayuse featuring the most recently approved protocol and amendments. All item responses should be transferred from the attached pdf that you see for your latest approved protocol into the Cayuse web form.
- Each program has its own process for completing the transfer of information in the Cayuse system.
- Please refer to the “Cayuse Resources” menu on the left found on the IACUC and IBC pages. Please use the guide titled “How to transfer protocols in Cayuse” in order to complete the protocol transfer process.
Information for Human Ethics (Human Subjects Research)
New submissions as of May 2, 2022.
- This module is accepting new submissions. Log in to Cayuse. Please see the guidance on submitting a new study.
- IRBIS is no longer accessible to researchers.
Submissions prior to May 2, 2022.
- Existing applications are accessible in IRBIS through May 31, 2022. IRBIS will no longer be available after May 31, 2022.
- Shell data (PI, title of study, etc.) has been transferred to Cayuse for most existing studies, but attachments or detailed responses to questions have not.
- Legacy data from IRBIS will be archived and available, but difficult to access. We STRONGLY recommend transferring and archiving your data from IRBIS before May 31, 2022. View guidance documents on how to download study information from IRBIS for existing studies
- Users can transfer study data themselves to ensure accuracy of the information transfer, or Office of Research and Innovation staff are available to transfer the data on your behalf provided you review the information for accuracy once it is transferred. Please contact Research Protections at email@example.com if you need assistance with transfer.
- In order to upload attachments to Cayuse, you need to first fill out a short form called a legacy form. Please see guidance on submitting a legacy form in Cayuse and uploading attachments (PDF).
Training Information for Human Ethics (Human Subjects Research/ IRB)
- On demand training sessions: We are no longer holding weekly traning sessions. If you are interested in arranging a training session for a group, please contact Morgan Coyle at 828-262-4060 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Training Information for Outside Interests (Conflict of Interest)
Every faculty member and EHRA Non-Faculty employee of the University is required to complete an annual Disclosure Form relating to conflicts of interest or commitment.
Page last updated Aug. 8, 2023.