The mission of the University Research Council is to stimulate, encourage, and support research across all segments of the University community. The URC is committed to a broad and inclusive definition of research, including both basic and applied research as well as scholarly creative endeavors. The URC has responsibility for reviewing all proposals submitted to the University Research Council Grants Program.
Faculty and staff are nominated by their respective units for appointment to the Council by the Chief Research Officer. Appointments will take into account the following: representation of as many departments and disciplines as possible, with a combination of tenured/untenured faculty for the academic college/school appointments. Administrative members serve as a function of their position.
- Chair: Dr. Ece Karatan, Vice Provost for Research
- Staff: Kate Hoffman, Executive Assistant, Office of Research
College of Arts and Sciences
- Dr. Megen Culpepper, Chemistry & Fermentation Sciences
- Ann Kaplan, Interdisciplinary Studies
- Dr. Ellen Lamont, Sociology
College of Business
- Dr. Jason Xiong, Computer Information Systems
College of Education
College of Fine and Applied Arts
- Dr. Reza Foroughi, Sustainable Technology and the Built Environment
- Dr. Andres Tellez, Applied Design
College of Health Sciences
School of Music
Administrative Members (continuing)
- Dr. Becki Battista, Director, Office of Student Research
- Elaine Berry, Director, Special Funds Accounting
- Karen Fletcher, Director, Grants Resources and Services
- Dr. Christine Hendren, Director, Research Institute for Environment, Energy, and Economics
- Dr. Marie Hoepfl, Interim Dean, Cratis D. Williams School of Graduate Studies
- Charna Howson, Director, Sponsored Programs
- Shante' Mathes, Director, Research Protections
- Dr. Gary McCullough, Associate Dean, Research & Graduate Education, College of Health Sciences
- Dr. Heather Waldroup, Associate Director, Honors College
- Dr. Twila Wingrove, Director, Research Design & Analysis
2022-23 Academic Year Meetings
- September 20, 4 pm until 5:30 pm
- October 11, 4 pm until 5:30 pm
- November 15, 4 pm until 6 pm
- January 17, 4 pm until 5:30 pm
- February 21, 4 pm until 5:30 pm
- March 21, 4 pm until 5:30 pm
- April 18, 4 pm until 6 pm
Past meeting minutes may be viewed here.
University Research Council (URC) Grants
The mission of the University Research Council is to stimulate, encourage, and support research across all segments of the University community. The URC is committed to a broad and inclusive definition of research, including both pure and applied research as well as scholarly creative endeavors. Each year, a portion of the facilities & administrative (F&A) or indirect funds generated by external grants and contracts are used to support faculty research activities with grant awards of up to $5,000. The University Research Council reviews proposals and makes funding recommendations to the Chief Research Officer. Contact email@example.com.
Information for applicants
Applicants are asked to provide information about their internal and external funding endeavors, a 4-page proposal narrative, a budget, a 2-page CV, and have the option of up to 4 additional appendices.
- Proposal Narrative Guidelines
- Budget Narrative Guidelines
- URC Grant Overview Webinar
- Application (AppState login required)
- Complete guidelines and eligibility information are embedded in the application.
For Fall review –Noon on the third Tuesday in October annually.
For Spring review –Noon on the first Tuesday in March annually thereafter (occasionally it falls on the 2nd Tuesday, if the first Tuesday is during Spring Break).
- Frequently-asked questions
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org