The mission of the University Research Council is to stimulate, encourage, and support research across all segments of the University community. The URC is committed to a broad and inclusive definition of research, including both pure and applied research as well as scholarly creative endeavors. The URC has responsibility for reviewing all proposals submitted to the University Research Council Grants Program.
Faculty and staff are nominated by their respective units for appointment to the Council by the Chief Research Officer. Appointments will take into account the following: representation of as many departments and disciplines as possible, with a combination of tenured/untenured faculty for the academic college/school appointments. Administrative members serve as a function of their position.
- Chair: Dr. Ece Karatan, Vice Provost for Research
- Staff: Kate Hoffman, Executive Assistant, Office of Research
- Dr. Becki Battista, Director, Office of Student Research
- Elaine Berry, Director, Special Funds Accounting
- Karen Fletcher, Director, Grants Resources and Services
- Dr. Marie Hoepfl, Associate Dean, Cratis D. Williams School of Graduate Studies
- Charna Howson, Director, Sponsored Programs
- Shante' Mathes, Acting Director, Research Protections
- Dr. Gary McCullough, Associate Dean, Research & Graduate Education, College of Health Sciences
- Dr. Twila Wingrove, Director, Research Design & Analysis
For a listing of involved Colleges and Schools, click here.
2019-20 Academic Year Meetings
- April 21, 4 pm until 6 pm
Past meeting minutes may be viewed here.
University Research Council (URC) Grants
The mission of the University Research Council is to stimulate, encourage, and support research across all segments of the University community. The URC is committed to a broad and inclusive definition of research, including both pure and applied research as well as scholarly creative endeavors. Each year, a portion of the facilities & administrative (F&A) or indirect funds generated by external grants and contracts are used to support faculty research activities with grant awards of up to $5,000. The University Research Council reviews proposals and makes funding recommendations to the Chief Research Officer. Contact email@example.com.
Information for applicants
- Application (ASU login required)
- Guidelines and eligibility information are embedded in the application.
For Fall review –Noon, October 15, 2019, and third Tuesday in October annually thereafter.
For Spring review –Noon, March 3, 2020, and first Tuesday in March annually thereafter.
- Frequently-asked questions
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org